Friday, June 29, 2012

aloha friday!...and gratitude


It's aloha Friday, y'all!

This is going to be quick because baby is napping and I have stuff to do! 

Rob is on a quick two day trip to Lala Land (Los Angeles) and will be home tonight. He goes back on-call tomorrow and Sunday, and then has a few days off. Yay! 

A few things: (In case you haven't noticed...) I am taking a Facebook break, indefinitely. I don't need to list the reasons why. Everyone knows why people take Facebreaks. 

I have replaced (some of) the time I spent on Facebook by starting a daily devotion called She Reads Truth, and I am loving it. This plan is 21 days and it's called, "Living the Surrendered Life." I started a little late... and got a little behind, but today I'm on Day 4 about Gratitude. The verse is out of Philippians 4: 11-12, written by Paul, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Man, yeah, that's what I want! What's the secret to being content NO MATTER WHAT?? Well, we don't really know. BUT... as the author of the devotional suggests, having gratitude, being grateful, might be a good start in being content in life... no matter the circumstances. There is always something to be grateful for. 

One thing I'm struggling with is body image. What woman isn't? I remind myself daily...sometimes multiple times a day, especially when I'm whining about having my pre-pregnancy body back. I tell myself, I DON'T WANT IT BACK. No, seriously. My body carried, sustained, and grew LIFE, for nine months, and continues to do so (still nursing!). That is something to be damn proud of! And, I am healthy. I may not look exactly how I want to look, or weigh what I want to weigh, but I am healthy, my body is healthy. That is a huge something to be grateful for. 

Continuing on the "Gratitude" train, the "action steps" were to name ten people or things for which I am grateful (it actually says to do it everyday). So here's my ten:
1. My marriage.
2. Having Rob as my husband, and that he loves me and our son to the moon and back.
3. CHRISTIAN.
4. My family is healthy.
5. My home in Hawaii... that I have a home, a roof over my head!
6. Christian has loving grandparents down the street (and I have awesome in-laws).
7. Growing up with loving parents, and having a Mom that supported all of my traveling and moving far away, even though I KNOW (and me too!!) she wishes we were closer. My mom loves me enough that she wants me to be happy, even if that means sacrificing her ability to see us everyday, or every month, or as often as she wants to. Sacrificial love. 
8. My faith.
9. My husband and I sharing the same faith in God and His plan for our lives.
10. All of my new friends and old friends that we've met and touched our lives along the way, and every day.

I want to have a grateful spirit all of the time. To be content no matter the circumstances. I got my first taste of that living in LA. I wanted out, I wanted to move so badly. Someone told us to find happiness in our current circumstances, so I tried, and I prayed about it. And God opened our lives to friendships and experiences we would have never had. I am grateful for that too.

Oh, oh, and I'm training for my first 5k... while pushing the jogger!

Alright, so maybe this wasn't quick.  Never is. But I do hope you have a wonderful weekend, and find something to be grateful for! For me, right at this moment. Christian is somehow still napping and it's not raining today...yet! 

Aloha! 

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. You are such a beautiful person, inside and out. I'm so lucky to have you in my life and grateful you're my friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you friend!! And, ahem, your friendship is one I was referring to above! :) So thankful to have you in my life! <3

      Delete
  2. Love! Good reminders for us all. I read through your "thankful list" and it really made me think about how blessed we are!
    And yeah... the post baby body is awesome! Did you ever think your body could do all that it did? It is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete